Addressing crooked teeth can improve the appearance, function, and overall health of your smile. We understand that crooked teeth can be a cause of embarrassment for some patients, which is why we work with you to find the ideal solution for your smile.
Health Issues That Can Be Cause From Crooked Teeth
- Can cause gum disease
- Developing periodontal, or gum disease is a common ramification of crooked teeth. Gum disease develops when bacteria in our mouth forms into plaque. The problem grows when your gums don’t fit properly around your teeth, leaving more room for bacteria to grow.
- Makes cleaning teeth more difficult
- Toothbrushes and floss will have a hard time reaching the nooks and crannies between crooked teeth, which can lead to bacteria growth.
- Causes teeth to wear
- Crowded bottom teeth often cause one or more teeth to protrude, which can rub against your upper teeth. Over time, this can lead to undue wear of tooth enamel.
- Increases risk of tooth injuries
- Protruding upper teeth are more likely to chip or crack in the event of an accident. For example, when playing sports.
- Creates chewing difficulties
- Protruding upper and lower teeth may rub together in a way that prevents normal jaw alignment, making it difficult to chew.
- Causes bad breath
- As bad as crooked teeth look, they can smell even worse. Unless you’ve just eaten an onion, bad breath is generally caused by lingering mouth bacteria, which can be difficult to clean from in between crooked teeth.
- Can Hurt Your Confidence
- Having crooked teeth may reduce your confidence in your smile, reducing how much you smile which can have a negative impact on your social life.
- Decreases overall health
- Few people realize that dental issues can seriously affect more than just their oral health. Clinical studies have proven that oral infections caused by bacteria buildup may lead to more serious ailments, including heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and pneumonia.
- As crooked teeth grow, they can misalign your jaw, cause chronic headaches, and even TMJ.
Request An Appointment
Loyalsock Dental in Williamsport, PA is committed to providing individualized, patient-centered dental care. We work with each of our patients to deliver the dental care they need to improve their smile. If you are seeking a solution for crooked or misaligned teeth, visit our Williamsport dental office. To schedule an appointment, call (570) 224-9992 or request an appointment online