Dental Fillings An Overview
Tooth decay is typically treated with a dental filling. Dr. Kim places all types of dental fillings to meet your dental health and aesthetic needs. In most cases, composite resin fillings are recommended for the most natural looking and lasting result.
Dental fillings play an important role in helping patients of all ages maintain the integrity of their smile, helping to avoid tooth damage that may result in the need for a root canal, extensive restorative treatments or even tooth replacement.
Types of Fillings
- Amalgam fillings: also called “silver” fillings, this is the standard filling material that has been used for many years due to ease of application, durability, and economical cost. However, some patients face the risk of health effects due to mercury in the material and over time, these types of fillings can break down and “leak”.
- Composite resin fillings: color matched to your existing teeth, white fillings provide a natural result with lasting durability. The process and material used is able to create a tight seal around the affected area, preventing future decay or infection.
- Gold fillings: recommended for fillings in the larger back teeth, gold fillings provide a strong biting surface and lasting result.
- Porcelain fillings: the highest quality filling material, porcelain will be the most natural looking and stain resistant result.
- Inlay, onlay: also called an indirect filling, this type of treatment for tooth decay will require 2 visits to our office. A restoration procedure, inlays and onlays will be made in a lab using dental impressions taken during the first visit. Recommended for more extensive damage or when addressing cosmetic concerns, inlays and onlays are made from high quality ceramic or porcelain.