Periodontal Therapy An Overview
Dr. Joyce Kim is an experienced dentist that provides comprehensive periodontal therapy for patients experiencing gum disease. At every routine dentist appointment at our Williamsport dental office, you will be screened for it. Gum disease is progressive and can cause serious harm to your oral and overall health. diagnosing and treating it as soon as possible is important to avoid damage to the teeth and gums that can be permanent or even lead to tooth loss.
Stages of Gum Disease
- Gingivitis – This is the first stage of periodontal disease and is very treatable. Many people do not even realize they have it. Here, the gums may be red, swollen, irritated, or even slightly inflamed. They may bleed very easily when brushing or flossing. Treating gingivitis promptly is important because it will avoid irreversible damage.
- Periodontitis – This stage of gum disease is more detrimental to your health. When gingivitis is not treated properly, it will progress into periodontitis. In this advanced stage of periodontal disease, there can be evidence of damage to the underlying bone, infected pockets forming along the teeth causing the gums to pull away from the teeth, and tooth damage. Treating periodontitis as soon as possible is imperative to your health.
- Advanced periodontitis – Here, the damage to your gums, teeth and bone is very evident. With advanced periodontitis, bone loss is severe and very deep pockets have formed due to the majority of the gum tissue being infected and pulling away from the teeth. If you reach this stage, tooth loss is likely.
Common Symptoms of Gum Disease
It is caused by bacteria that have infected the gum tissue, often due to poor oral hygiene, medical conditions, certain medications or a lack of dental care. Common signs of gum disease can include:
- Bleeding gums
- Red, swollen gums
- Persistent bad breath, halitosis
- Gum recession
- Shifting teeth, loose teeth
- Changes in the fit of the bite or dentures
If you are experiencing any of these common symptoms or have concerns about your oral health, schedule a visit with Dr. Kim for a comprehensive dental exam to evaluate the condition of your dental health.