Periodontal Therapy An Overview
Treating gum disease as soon as possible is important to avoid damage to the teeth and gums that can be permanent or even lead to tooth loss. Dr. Joyce Kim provides comprehensive periodontal therapy for patients experiencing gum disease in our Williamsport dental office.
Common Symptoms of Gum Disease
Gum disease is a progressive condition that will get worse over time if untreated. It is caused by bacteria that have infected the gum tissue, often due to poor oral hygiene, medical conditions, certain medications or a lack of dental care. Common signs of gum disease can include:
- Bleeding gums
- Red, swollen gums
- Persistent bad breath, halitosis
- Gum recession
- Shifting teeth, loose teeth
- Changes in the fit of the bite or dentures
If you are experiencing any of these common symptoms or have concerns about your oral health, schedule a visit with Dr. Kim for a comprehensive dental exam to evaluate the condition of your dental health.
Periodontal Therapy What to Expect
Periodontal therapy refers to a range of gum treatments designed to remove bacteria and diseased tissue and stimulate healing to restore gum health. Dr. Kim will evaluate your gums, determine the stage of disease and recommend the most appropriate treatment for your needs.
Treatment options for gum disease include:
- Antibacterial rinses: a conservative treatment that can be done at home as part of your daily oral hygiene routine, this is often the most effective option for early stage gingivitis. It may also be recommended for ongoing use in patients with chronic gum disease or considered at greater risk.
- Scaling and root planing: for more advanced gingivitis or early stage periodontitis, this thorough cleaning and removal of plaque from tooth surfaces, exposed roots and the gum line can promote healing.
- Oral surgery or laser dentistry: for patients with advanced periodontitis, Dr. Kim will coordinate care with a local periodontist or oral surgeon.