Invisalign® An Overview
Crooked teeth, or malocclusion, can be the underlying cause of common dental concerns and bite problems. From tooth cavities to TMJ disorders, your long-term oral health is at risk if your teeth are not making proper contact.
If you have mild to moderate orthodontic concerns, Dr. Kim can meet your needs with the convenience of clear braces. Dr. Kim is a Williamsport area Invisalign provider and can help teen and adult patients straighten teeth using the original clear aligner system. Invisalign offers some key benefits to patients when compared to traditional metal braces, often making treatment a more pleasant experience.
Benefits of Invisalign
- Discreet treatment: No one has to know you are wearing the clear aligners! They visibly blend in with your smile and do not shine or create attention.
- Comfortable orthodontic care: The aligners are made of a material that does not irritate your soft mouth tissue or gums. They do not rub against your lips like traditional braces either.
- Enjoy your favorite foods: The aligners can be removed for meals, making it easy to enjoy eating normally and without food restrictions.
- Maintain optimal oral health during treatment: Removing aligners for daily oral hygiene and routine dental care can minimize the risk of developing tooth decay and tooth stains.
Most patients can complete treatment with Invisalign in 12-15 months, depending on the severity of their oral health needs and cosmetic goals.
Invisalign® What to Expect
The Invisalign process will begin with a consultation and comprehensive evaluation. Your visit may include:
- Exam and evaluation of your oral health and bite
- Discussion of your aesthetic goals
- Presentation of your personal treatment plan and associated costs for your consideration
You will be walked through the entire process and given the opportunity to voice your opinions or concerns. We will not begin without your approval of the treatment plan. It may also include treatments to fix underlying conditions before Invisalign treatment starts. This will ensure that your Invisalign treatment is done with a health foundation, and prevent orthodontic relapse.
The next step is to come in for digital impressions which are used for the design of your custom aligners. Invisalign uses CAD/CAM technology to create a digital blueprint for your treatment plan. Dr. Kim will take a digital impression of your teeth, bite, and smile. She will then submit the data to an Invisalign lab for the fabrication of your new clear aligners. The number of aligners you receive will depend on your dental health needs and will help determine your treatment time. Patients, on average, see results after the first 4 months and complete treatment within a year.
Dr. Kim and our team will go over how to use your aligners, how often to change them out, and when to come in for periodic check ups when your set of aligners are complete. We will monitor your progress during treatment and make any adjustments as needed.
Dr. Kim recommends that all Invisalign patients use a retainer after the completion of treatment to maintain their new smile and avoid orthodontic relapse.